According to eMarketer and Monetate, desktop internet and social network usage growth have plateaued in the US. Some user bases are still growing more quickly than average, but digital’s momentum has moved to mobile. Social media, video viewing, tablet M-commerce, and tablet and smartphone usage figures will be critical for marketers to understand as they develop campaigns to target the growing online and mobile populations, says the report.
While overall growth of Facebook slows, increasing only 2.9% in 2015, the site nonetheless leads the US social network market. In terms of mobile, 47.8% of mobile phone users will access the Facebook site through their device.
- Internet Users 259.3M up 2.5% from 2014
- Social Network Users 179.7M up 3.7% from 2014
- Facebook Users 156.5M up 2.9% from 2014
- Twitter Users 52.9M up 9.4% from 2014
- Instagram Users 60.3M up 14.8% from 2014
And, Twitter’s total user base is increasing 9.4% in 2015 to 52.9 million, with mobile usage growing substantially at up 46.4M to 13.9% from 2014. 18% of mobile phone users will access their Twitter account at least once per month in 2015.
Though the number of mobile phone users remains at a near standstill, with growth of just 1.9% in 2015, internet usage on mobile and mobile content consumption are increasing. The report says that 72.8% of mobile phone users will use their device to access the internet at least once per month, and 37.1% of the mobile phone population to listen to music on their phones next year, 64.8% to play games and 40.1% to watch videos
Video viewing on digital devices continues to go mainstream, says the report, as internet users snack on clips, catch up on favorite shows or stay up-to-date with their favorite sports on mobile phones, tablets, PCs and video streamed to connected TVs.
- Digital Video Viewers 203.8M up 4.2% from 2014
- Smartphone Video Viewers 102.2M up 13.9% from 2014
- All Mobile Phone Video Viewers 103.1M up 13.2% from 2014
- Digital Movie Viewers 112.5M up 7.4% from 2014
- Mobile Phone Gamers 64.8% of mobile phone users 166.8M up 13.2% from 2014
- Digital TV Viewers 153.4M up 7.6% from 2014
Tablets are important in the ecommerce space, says the report, with tablet M-commerce sales expected to grow 36.7% in 2015.
- In 2015 50.3% of tablet users will be iPad users
- In 2015 72.0% of tablet users will buy online this year
- Tablet Users 156.0M up 6.1% from 2014
- iPad Users 78.5M up 3.0% from 2014
- Dual Tablet and Smartphone Users 107.4M up 16.4% from 2014 (59.1% of smartphone users 68.9% of tablet users)
- Tablet M-commerce Buyers 97.9M up 11.6% from 2014.
Get a copy of the report HERE.